Friday, February 1, 2008

Poetry Friday

I was going to do something for St Brigid's Day (which is today) or something Groundhog Day-ish, but instead I'm posting the poem my 6 year old twins memorized this week, as part of their homeschool routine. I wish I could include the twins' hand and body gestures as they recite it - they make this poem a very visual experience! This poem was written N.M. Bodecker (and it rolls very nicely off the tongue):

When Skies Are Low and Days Are Dark

When skies are low
and days are dark,
and frost bites
like a hungry shark,
when mufflers muffle
ears and nose,
and puffy sparrows
huddle close -
how nice to know
that February
is something purely
temporary.

Poetry Friday is being hosted today at Karen Edmisten's blog, also known as the blog "with the shockingly clever title."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the calendar says otherwise, but February always feels like the longest month to me.

Love the poem.

Karen Edmisten said...

I can only imagine the cuteness of hearing six-year-old twins recite this. Love it! Thank you!

(And I will let my children know that there's *someone* out there who appreciates my organizing skills.) :-)

Anonymous said...

You'll have to share something about the accompanying hand gestures -- please?!!