Tuesday, October 18, 2011

And Then There's Lunch

I don't know about you, but making lunch in-house 5 days a week can be tedious, particularly if I've spent the morning assisting with math (grade 5 level), assisting with math (grade 9 level), talking about history, the periodic table, geometry, grammar and maybe even a little poetry.

I walk into the kitchen, most days around 11:30, look around and think "ugh." Or "why don't I have a personal chef?" Sometimes I even do an "uh-oh" depending on what's in the fridge or cupboards. Sometimes I walk back into the family room (where we do our schoolwork) and think "I'd rather be here. I wonder if anyone will forget about lunch?" knowing in my heart that no one will. Well, except for me.

There's something about the regularity of lunch that can be very creativity-destroying, don't you think? I have lots of ideas, but some days I lack the enthusiasm (not to mention the ingredients AND a flagrant budget). And don't forget the Taste Bud Considerations to, well, um, consider. Some of us adore sushi, some of us don't. Some of us love soup, some of us think it should be served no more than once a month, if that. Some of us like odd foods and exotic flavours, some of us would prefer a Heart Un-healthy diet (fries, cured meat subs, hamburgers).

So I'm going to start something new here on this blog:

Consider The Lunch.

I'm going to detail what we have for lunch for a week or two, which should, all going well, shame me into making more of an effort.

Here was Monday's offering: rice wraps. Stuffed with the previous day's leftover baked salmon, grated carrots, chopped sorrel, and a little soy sauce and sesame oil.

Rating: Excellent (and yes, I do say so myself)

And in the meantime, if you have any ideas, please send them. Quick.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Mmmm, that sounds delicious. We haven't had rice wraps much this year and I don't know why. We all love them. We had our favourite quick and easy tomato soup today - made in the Vitamix. I even used one of my giant Kelsae onions that I had been saving for onion rings (it does seems such a shame to just chop them into bits after all that growing so huge and all).

Looking forward to seeing your lunch offerings for inspiration( because every once in a while I have the grinchy thought go through my head that it would be nice if we could just eat a bigger breakfast and not have to eat again until dinner. Or if we could just have raw fruit and nuts for in between or anything that didn't make dirty dishes).
Anyway, I will remember your rice wraps for next time we have leftover salmon. Thanks for sharing.

epers - which I've decided to pronounce like jeepers and use to mean the same thing (since I like the exclamation "eep" anyway.