Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Low Tech Life


I'm on more than one Yahoo! homeschool/classical education group and it often seems as though everyone's kid logs a fair bit of computer time. My kids, on the other hand, have little interest in the computer beyond the Royal Scotsman Haggis Hunt every Christmas, then they become obsessed with Haggis Watching. To be honest, it's a monster created from my own Luddite inclinations (as well as some residual scarring from watching my nephews every Christmas, intent on their hand-held computer games and completely ignoring the world around them). "Computers are okay when you're older but now you need to run around and play instead of sitting in front of that computer!' I'd tell my kids. 'You won't be able to do anything else!' Of course, now I have to eat some of those words, because my kids think I spend WAY too much time on the computer. They think I should be outside running around, getting some fresh air! Sigh.

I had a big laugh the other day, though, when I happened upon my daughter and her high tech View Master. Talk about delving into virtual worlds!

No comments: