Thursday, August 28, 2008
The Tree of Happiness
My friend Louise, from This Is My Patch, has given me a very delightful award. It's called the Tree of Happiness. I love the idea that there are gardeners out there exchanging this tree all over the place. Who knows what will grow where?
One of the requirements of this award is that I list 6 things that make me happy, then pass it on to other bloggers that have inspired me.
1. Really good food and drink. A serious pesto. A glass of champagne. A rack of lamb. A perfectly steamed artichoke. Garlic butter. A crisp baguette. A rich and frothy latté. A gin and tonic. A very very very very old cheddar. Pancetta. Gravensteins. Raspberries. New potatoes. Sablé cookies. Very bittersweet chocolate. A slice of romano. Buttery toast. Marmite on buttery toast.
Sorry, but this list is endless. You'll all be asleep by the time I've finished.
2. My garden. I love my garden, no matter where it's been.
3. Cats. I've had quite a few cats over the years, but I love them all devotedly. They always make me feel pleased with life. Dogs, shmogs.
5. Watching my kids act like idiots. It's infectious.
6. Food. Oops, mentioned that already, didn't I? Well then, let me say that reading other people's blogs gives me a certain level of happiness. Not in the same way that a sunset, or the advent of the summer, or Christmas morning does, but still, it's a lovely quiet pleasure that sustains me through the day.
Now I'm supposed to award this to other garden bloggers who have inspired me, and I can't think of any gardeners that have been more fun to read than my pals Heather and Samantha at Four Friends and A Blog. They garden AND cook - and they look charming in flowing white shirts! Plus, they indulge my crushes on inappropriate but oh-so-cute famous men. (but we won't go there today)