Thursday, September 20, 2007

I'd rather see this, but instead it's raining.


Need I say more? I'm not a big rain fan, at least, since having kids I'm not a rain fan. It keeps us in the house more, especially if someone is sick or about-to-become-sick. I find I'm getting cat-like as I get older - I hate getting wet. This attitude 'o' mine is not a useful one to have if you are a True Wet (oops, little slip there), West Coaster. W.C.s are tough, they thrive on the rain, rain is fun, rain doesn't stop them from living their life. W.C.s hike mountains in the rain; a little mud phases them not. Postie W.C.s wear shorts ALL winter here! It's enough to make you run for the Mediterranean.

I, on the other hand, am very wimpy about rain. I was born in this part of the world, too, so you'd think I'd be used to it by now. I think my Need To Stay Dry gene triumphed, personally.

I don't seem to have transferred any anti-rain habits onto my kids, although Katie is showing signs. The boys don't notice the weather unless it's snowing. They long for snow daily, as in "When is it going to snow?" or "Do you think it will snow this winter?" or "How many times do you think it will snow this winter?" It can be a baking hot day, us lounging around a beach, even, and there they are, rhapsodizing about snow. It's enough to make me run for the Med...oops, already said that, didn't I? Ah well. I think the boys going to become typical West Coasters, striding about in sensible rain gear, breathing deeply, and enjoying every soggy minute of the day, unlike their sun-deprived, anti-rain mother.

No comments: