Saturday, September 29, 2007

Lego Men sail the Nile



When I first started homeschooling, my first experiment - err child - was 7 and homeschooling was a whole new (and slightly alarming) arena. I was game, but apprehensive. My background had been all about living A Wild Life, not the stay-at-home-and-even-homeschool-everyone life, so the idea of spending hours of time each day voluntarily doing the school thing with my kids was, to be perfectly honest, not something I saw myself enjoying. But we're still doing it, so either my kids have very low expectations of their hapless mother, or we're having a good time.

Anyhow, this year the twins are having their first year doing the homeschooling gig, and with 3 years under my belt, I've come to have a far deeper appreciation of fun as a learning tool than I used to. Not that I'm boring, but books like Great Ancient Egypt Projects You Can Build Yourself, Ancient Egyptians and their Neighbours; An Activity Guide with Assyrians, Hittites and Nubians too!, or even Junior BOOM! Academy, were SO not on my radar. Now they are. And boy, do we look forward to them. Thus the above photo: Lego Men navigating the Nile in their papyrus crafts (sure, those boats look like they were made out of straws but that just shows how little we all know about papyrus). Unfortunately the Lego men got a little carried away with their navigational abilities and almost ended up in the toilet, but it was fun while it lasted.

No comments: