Thursday, November 6, 2008

That Goofy FDPG

FDPG when she was 4.

Today FDPG said to me "I felt very distressed when you said you were going to make dinner."

Huh?

She feels distressed when I prepare dinner?

Nice one, FDPG. Distressed my foot. Harumph. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

So you know what I did? (oh juvenile that I am) I made dinner with yellow tomatoes! Lots of yellow tomatoes! And if there's one thing I know about FDPG, it's that she hates tomatoes, no matter what colour they are. Tomatoes and FDPG = Mortal Enemies. I roasted those tomatoes in olive oil and garlic till they were good and soft and sweet, then I puréed them and added them to a pesto sauce, because if there's one thing I know about FDPG, it's that she loves pesto, especially if it has lots of grated Romano cheese on it.
(thank you thank you Moira, you have no idea how much we are loving those blocks of Romano)

And then I served it.

With a smile.

And she ate it all up.

9 comments:

Suji said...

You terrible, terrible, stealthy mom you! (wink!)

sheila said...

I know, I'm perfectly horrible aren't I? I nearly died when she said that, then I thought "them's fightin' words, Little Miss Picky."

No one knows even now. That's the really funny bit. Not even her dad knew what I'd done. And she loved her dinner. Oh boy, revenge is best served on a plate.

therealkimaliczi said...

I want to be you when I grow up. I'm not worthy...

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is very funny!

(Though I confess, I am also a lifelong tomato hater, in most cases. Wish it weren't so.)

sheila said...

Shaun, if you ever visit, I promise that I will never do that to you. Well, as long as you promise not to tell me that my cooking distresses you...

Kim! You big silly!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Beautiful picture. The meal sounds delicious. You are one cool mom.

Anonymous said...

Roasted yellow tomato sauce is SOOOO delicious. Even without the pesto (though I sometimes chuck some basil or oregano in when I roast it). I also seive it and use it as a marinade for chicken.

Kate said...

Combine your blog with an online store which stocks whichever mouth-watering recipe you happen to be writing about, and I'll be the first to place an order. Life would be grand if I go to the pantry and open up a bottle of your yellow tomato pesto sauce!

sheila said...

Vivian - I've never noticed that picture of you before! Lovely!

Well, JoVE, I owe my silky tomato mixture all to you, you know.

Kate, you will be the first person I send my cook's catalogue to!