Friday, November 9, 2007

Poetry Friday

Poetry Friday is being hosted at Cloudscome, and I felt I should add a poem today, as a prelude to Remembrance Day. This is a poem I once heard my grandfather recite, and since he was in WWII, this is for him.

Requiem
by Robert Louis Stevenson

Under the wide and starry sky
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.
This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
And the hunter home from the hill.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I can't hear this without thinking of Rumer Godden's book.

Blessings on your grandfather...

Andromeda Jazmon said...

What a nice tribute to your grandfather.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Thank you for sharing.

tanita✿davis said...

This makes me a little weepy, every single time I read it...