Friday, November 30, 2007

Poetry Friday














Autumn
Rainer Maria Rilke


The leaves are falling, falling as if from far up,

as if orchards were dying high in space.

Each leaf falls as if it were motioning "no."


And tonight the heavy earth is falling
away from all other the stars in the loneliness.


We're all falling. This hand here is falling.

And look at the other one...It's in them all.


And yet there is Someone, whose hands

infinitely calm, holding up all this falling.



I chose this poem because of what I saw when I woke up this morning. I looked out into the early morning light and I could see Venus winking brightly in the sky at one end, and the half moon glittering coldly at the other. It seemed one of those days, a day when you felt Great Portent. Just like this poem.
Poetry Friday is brought to you today by Two Writing Teachers. Thanks for hosting!

No comments: